Thursday, April 30, 2009

George MacDonald Poem

I shared this poem in the closing of Sunday's sermon. God may be calling you to go to a place you do not want to go and speak to someone you don’t feel like talking to. But like Philip go and speak the grace and truth of the gospel. And like both Philip and the Ethiopian, rejoice in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.

I said, “Let me walk in the field”;
God said, “No, walk in the town”;
I said, “There are no flowers there”;
He said, “No flowers, but a crown”;

I said, “But the sky is black,
There is nothing but noise and din”;
But He wept as He sent me back,
“There is more, ” He said, “there is sin”

I said, “But the air is thick,
And smog is veiling the sun”;
He answered, “Yet souls are sick,
And your work is yet undone.”

I said, “I will miss the light,
And friends will miss me, they say”;
He answered, “Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you, or they.”

I pleaded for time to be given;
He said, “Is it hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in Heaven
To have followed the steps of your Guide.”

I cast one look at the field,
Then set my face to the town;
He said, “My child, do you yield?
Will you leave the flowers for the crown?”

Then into His hand went mine,
And into my heart came He;
And I walk in a light Divine,
The path I had feared to see.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Thank you for posting the poem. I enjoyed reading it.