Thursday, April 17, 2008

To Love Like Jesus

According to current statistics, one out of every four Americans will be involved in a lawsuit of some sort during their lifetime.

For example, a Princeton University student climbed to the roof of one of the campus buildings and was electrically shocked by a piece of equipment. He sued Princeton for damages, saying that it was their fault that the equipment was not properly marked for nighttime prowlers! His rights were violated and the court sided with him.

When I go to the gym it is not uncommon for one of the TV channels to be tuned into a show built around the courtroom. People are shallow and selfish; immersed in their own gratification and infuriated if anyone or anything should get in their way.

The new golden rule is, “Look out for number one.”

What does this mean for the Christian? What does this mean for the church?

It means unbelievable opportunity. The primary distinctive of being a disciple of Jesus Christ can be revealed with unmistakable, undeniable clarity... love one another the way Jesus loved.

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35

A friend quoted that verse to me as he shared his gratitude for the way some of the Cornerstone women ministered to his ill wife. May we continue to increase in loving like Christ for His glory.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I actually have a question for you. I was in the 2-3 class teaching this sunday and I think I missed the John Piper book give away! It just hit me today because I realized that I don't have that one after all. I'm in the middle of some major Piper diving so I would really love to get it. Can someone save one?

John Marc Wiemann said...

Yes, we have plenty of copies of Don't Waste Your Life book and study guide, and the red For Your Joy booklets.

Kristen Borland said...

mike and i have certainly felt the love of Jesus at Cornerstone. we have been so blessed by it and so encouraged to grow in our efforts to "love one another like Jesus".

i came on to your blog to tell you about how i edit my pictures (mike said you've asked him about that). there's a website (www.picnik.com) that allows you to do all kinds of fun things with your photos for free. there is a paid membership for some of the premium stuff, but almost all of the features are available for free.

our son nehemiah left you a post on my blog if you haven't checked it out recently!