Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Do Christians need to hear the gospel?

In Sunday's sermon, I quoted CJ Mahaney in his book The Cross Centered Life, “Three main tendencies in particular tend to draw Christians away from the gospel:

1. Subjectivism, which means basing our view of God on our changing feelings and emotions.
2. Legalism, which means basing our relationship with God on our own performance.
3. Condemnation, which means being more focused on our sin, or on others sin, than on God’s grace.”


Several people commented after the message, how much they appreciated the focus on the cross of Christ. It is not uncommon for us to base our relationship with God on feelings, or on performance, or on thoughts of guilt.

The apostle Paul said, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

Notice Paul does not say, “Christ loves me” as we might expect him to say, but that “Christ loved me.”

In other words, Paul could not graduate past the cross of Jesus Christ as the source and power of his faith. It is at the cross that we gain a full assurance of God’s specific, passionate and personal love.

So where does the cross of Christ intersect with your daily life?

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Sumday sermon was great.